Thursday, September 20, 2012

Boys vs. Girls

I was so glad our first 2 babies were girls.  In fact, I was praying for them.  I would have been super excited for boys too, don't get me wrong.  But for someone not used to kids or chaos I needed their mellow spirits to help break me into motherhood.  The girls were so good at just being content sitting in our laps, they loved having their diaper changed, and whenever they were fussy they easily quieted by being toted around in the baby carrier while I went about my day.


I was definitely ready for our 3rd to be a boy...or so I thought.  I was a bit of a tom boy growing up and am much better at building Lego towers than playing barbie princess wedding.  I love cars and racing toy cars.  Eli is definitely living up to the stories I've heard about boys.  Each diaper change is a wrestling match.  He has so much energy and an incredibly short attention span.  There is a wide circle in the middle of all our baby toys. He will spend about 10-15 minutes in the middle of that circle spinning around on his tummy spending a few seconds investigating each toy, then moving onto the next.  Once he makes it all the way around, he is done and wants to be picked up and played with.  When he fusses, it won't simply do to just pick him up and carry him around, he wants to go outside and investigate all the new things. He is totally bored with being inside, we're in for an interesting winter, good thing we live in California.  Right now he is ignoring the slew of baby toys I brought for him to play with next to me and is investigating a screw on my computer desk.  

There was one flaw to my "ideal order".  Eli requires a lot more energy than the girls...and I didn't plan on having so much less of it by the 3rd.  I'm so worn out by the everyday requirements of running a household and taking care of a family of 5 that I have a hard time coming up with new ways of satisfying Eli's adventurous spirit by the end of the day.  Good things he has 2 amazing older sisters who just can't get enough of him, hopefully I can convince them to play with trains instead of dressing him up like a princess (true story).


1 comments:

Meagan said...

Oh. So true. It's crazy. Wait until he starts climbing everything! Also, diaper changes are the WORST. I am so glad that someone else is noticing this. Well, not glad that you have a hard time, but glad I'm not alone. :)