Sunday, July 11, 2010

New things I learned this summer



We took a month off from Dance lessons so that Laney could do swimming lessons.  Big fat disaster!!!!  She was fine the first 2 days, in fact she LOVED it.  Then all the sudden she hated going.  It took all my might, mind, and patience to convince her to get in.  Of course once she got in she loved it...until she had her near drowning experience.  Drowning may be an exaggeration, but it sure freaked us both out and she would not go near the water again, and was absolutely thrilled to be going back to dance class.  For those who care to hear the full story....

We were actually kinda lucky that day.  Lucky that Cali for once was staying in the day care provided by our gym.  This allowed me to stay in the pool area, which was the only way Laney would go in the water.  The other parents watched from the window.  Which was very lucky for us since I was the first one to notice that Laney had slipped under the water, far enough down that she couldn't reach the side of the pool.  I'll never forget the image of Laney scrambling her arms upward, eyes wide open in panic.  My "OMG" scream (can't remember the last time I swore) woke up the lifeguard who was standing seriously right in front of Laney, who then pulled her out.  I consider us so lucky that she somehow held her breath, she's never done it before.  I don't know how long she was under, how much longer she would have been able to hold her breathe, or how much longer it would have taken someone else to notice her.  I'm sure she wasn't in any real danger, but still it's the closest I've ever come to loosing her. It woke me up to the fact that random accidents like these really do happen, and I'm so lucky and thankful for every day I have with my family. 

 


 

Laney helping Brad with the dishes....and Cali working so hard to undo their hard work. 
 




0 comments: